Can my wages be garnished if I do not pay the insurance company? 20 Answers as of January 13, 2013

I was driving without insurance and got in an accident. The accident was the other driver's fault. He ran a red light. So the other cars insurance filed a lawsuit against me. So they want me pay them over $8000, which I can't afford. Do they have the power to garnish my wages if I don't pay?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Offices of Mark West
Law Offices of Mark West | Mark West
If they sued you and obtained a judgment against you, yes to some degree they can garnish your wages.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 1/13/2013
Paul Whitfield and Associates P.A.
Paul Whitfield and Associates P.A. | Paul L. Whitfield
They get a judgment and harass you for 10 years if they care to and they go to DMV to take your license if you don't pay a judgment based on your failure to have insurance.
Answer Applies to: North Carolina
Replied: 1/9/2013
Victor Varga | Victor Varga
Yes, if they obtain a money judgment against you.
Answer Applies to: Maryland
Replied: 1/9/2013
Graves Law Firm
Graves Law Firm | Steve Graves
If you live int Texas, the insurance company can't garnish your pay. It can, however, get your driver's license suspended. If the other driver ran a light and hit you, I recommend you fight the lawsuit even if you can't afford a lawyer. I would note, though, that a lawyer's fee would be less than the $8,000 you're being sued for. Good luck.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 1/9/2013
Law Offices of Ronald A. Steinberg & Associates | Ronald A. Steinberg, BA, MA, JD
If they get a judgment against you, they sure do.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 1/5/2013
    Richard B. Jacobson & Associates, LLC | Richard B. Jacobson
    If they win a judgment against you, and your wages exceed the exemption amount, they can garnish your wages. Your best bet is to contest their lawsuit. A good lawyer can help.
    Answer Applies to: Wisconsin
    Replied: 1/5/2013
    Ferguson & Ferguson
    Ferguson & Ferguson | Randy W. Ferguson
    They would have to sue you and win first.
    Answer Applies to: Alabama
    Replied: 1/5/2013
    Gates' Law, PLLC | Thomas E. Gates
    If they get a judgment against you they can garnish your wages.
    Answer Applies to: Washington
    Replied: 1/5/2013
    John Russo | John Russo
    Sorry but your question does not even make nonsense, if it was determined at the scene that the other vehicle was 100% at fault why are they asking you to compensate? And they can only have your wages garnished after a judgement and execution against you showing you at fault.
    Answer Applies to: Rhode Island
    Replied: 1/5/2013
    Adler Law Group, LLC
    Adler Law Group, LLC | Lawrence Adler
    If you do not defend yourself in court, they will get a judgment against you and then garnish your wages.
    Answer Applies to: Connecticut
    Replied: 1/5/2013
    Steven Kalishman, P.A.
    Steven Kalishman, P.A. | Steven J Kalishman
    If the other driver is determined to be at fault, you don't owe anything.
    Answer Applies to: Florida
    Replied: 1/5/2013
    Danville Law Group | Scott Jordan
    Why is the other insurance company suing you? If you were not a fault, you should be sued. So, it would seem the insurance company believes you were at fault and want you to pay their expenses. If they obtain a judgment, which they will if you do not defend yourself, they will attempt to garnish your wages. You either need to defend against the lawsuit or consider filing bankruptcy, which will discharge this debt (unless alcohol and personal injuries were involved).
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 1/5/2013
    Law Office of Malosack Berjis
    Law Office of Malosack Berjis | Malosack Berjis
    You always face the possibility of your wages being garnished when a judgment is entered against you and you cannot afford to pay the judgment creditor. But, like many other things in the law, there are exceptions (* e.g.*, SSI benefits are exempt from enforcement of judgments).
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 1/5/2013
Click to View More Answers:
12 3 4 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney