Can my wages be garnished if I do not pay the insurance company? 20 Answers as of January 13, 2013

I was driving without insurance and got in an accident. The accident was the other driver's fault. He ran a red light. So the other cars insurance filed a lawsuit against me. So they want me pay them over $8000, which I can't afford. Do they have the power to garnish my wages if I don't pay?

Law Offices of Mark West
Law Offices of Mark West | Mark West
If they sued you and obtained a judgment against you, yes to some degree they can garnish your wages.
They get a judgment and harass you for 10 years if they care to and they go to DMV to take your license if you don't pay a judgment based on your failure to have insurance.
Victor Varga | Victor Varga
Yes, if they obtain a money judgment against you.
Graves Law Firm
Graves Law Firm | Steve Graves
If you live int Texas, the insurance company can't garnish your pay. It can, however, get your driver's license suspended. If the other driver ran a light and hit you, I recommend you fight the lawsuit even if you can't afford a lawyer. I would note, though, that a lawyer's fee would be less than the $8,000 you're being sued for. Good luck.
If they get a judgment against you, they sure do.
    If they win a judgment against you, and your wages exceed the exemption amount, they can garnish your wages. Your best bet is to contest their lawsuit. A good lawyer can help.
    They would have to sue you and win first.
    If they get a judgment against you they can garnish your wages.
    Sorry but your question does not even make nonsense, if it was determined at the scene that the other vehicle was 100% at fault why are they asking you to compensate? And they can only have your wages garnished after a judgement and execution against you showing you at fault.
    Adler Law Group, LLC
    Adler Law Group, LLC | Lawrence Adler
    If you do not defend yourself in court, they will get a judgment against you and then garnish your wages.
    Steven Kalishman, P.A.
    Steven Kalishman, P.A. | Steven J Kalishman
    If the other driver is determined to be at fault, you don't owe anything.
    Why is the other insurance company suing you? If you were not a fault, you should be sued. So, it would seem the insurance company believes you were at fault and want you to pay their expenses. If they obtain a judgment, which they will if you do not defend yourself, they will attempt to garnish your wages. You either need to defend against the lawsuit or consider filing bankruptcy, which will discharge this debt (unless alcohol and personal injuries were involved).
    Law Office of Malosack Berjis
    Law Office of Malosack Berjis | Malosack Berjis
    You always face the possibility of your wages being garnished when a judgment is entered against you and you cannot afford to pay the judgment creditor. But, like many other things in the law, there are exceptions (* e.g.*, SSI benefits are exempt from enforcement of judgments).