Can my wages be garnished for back rent by my landlord? 7 Answers as of July 11, 2013

My landlord is taking me to court and I need to know if I can be garnished for back rent.

Frances R. Johnson
Frances R. Johnson | Frances R. Johnson
Potentially, yes. There's a particular formula that the court will apply, if your wages are garnished. There are other issues that are applicable - you should contact an attorney where you live to find what could specifically happen in your situation.
The Coyle Law Office
The Coyle Law Office | T. Andrew Coyle
If a judge finds that you are liable for back rent, and you fail to pay the amount due within 30 days, the landlord would have the option of requesting that wages be garnished to pay off that debt.
Law Offices of John J. Ferry, Jr.
Law Offices of John J. Ferry, Jr. | John J. Ferry, Jr.
Generally they can't garnish wages for unpaid rent, but they can garnish wages for damages to the property.
Law Offices of Elliott Zarabi
Law Offices of Elliott Zarabi | Elliott Zarabi
Yes, your best bet is to work out a deal before going to trial.
Law Offices of Steven A. Fink
Law Offices of Steven A. Fink | Steven Alan Fink
If your landlord gets a judgment against you in court your wages can be garnished. However, no garnishment can occur without a judgment.