Can my step-daughter be in the USA before I apply petition for her? 2 Answers as of September 09, 2014

My step-daughter is only 11 years old and currently living with me in Singapore. I'm a US citizen, can I bring her to USA and they apply petition for her while she lives with me in the US. She is a Singaporean and she don't help a visa to enter US. I believe she can stay up to 3 months in US and can I during this period apply the form I-130 and change of states at the same time?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Offices of Linda Rose Fessler | Linda Fessler
No, she cannot stay in the U.S. she should stay in Singapore until she gets approved.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 9/9/2014
Law Offices of Grinberg and Segal
Law Offices of Grinberg and Segal | Alexander Segal
If your intention is to seek permanent residence for your step-daughter than you need to file an immigrant visa on her behalf. You should not enter as a nonimmigrant when the intent is to seek permanent residence.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 9/9/2014
Click to View More Answers: