Can my stepdad who sponsored me for my green card revoke it after getting a divorce? 4 Answers as of March 14, 2011

I was sponsored to get my Green Card (got the 10 years one back in 2007) by my step dad (US Citizen) when he married my mother many years ago (was GC, now Citizen). He filed affidavit of support under is name. However, after family dispute he sued my mother and divorce her. He threatened to revoke my permanent residency status and reported it as fraudulent (it was legit and he was the one who divorced my mother). I never do drugs, no traffic tickets, no criminal record. Can my step dad revoke my green card because he was my sponsor / petitioner? I only have 1 year left before my naturalization. thank you for your precious time sir.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Pacifica Legal Services
Pacifica Legal Services | Floyd Fernandez
Your father cannot revoke your permanent residency. He can claim it was fraudulent, but in turn he could be subject to a felony for making false statements. You can, if necessary, make available proof of the marriage being for love, in the case of your mother, and will make any claims of your stepfather of no effect. You should be fine, but if you desire the aid of an attorney, please feel free to call or e-mail to set up a consultation, held in person or by phone.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 3/14/2011
Calderón Seguin PLC
Calderón Seguin PLC | Ofelia L. Calderon
I think this is highly unlikely. It takes a lot to revoke a green card for fraud and the burden is on the government to do so. He sounds a like a disgruntled person. If the original marriage was bona fide and legitimate, there is probably very little evidence to support his claim and a lot of evidence to support your claim and that of your mother.
Answer Applies to: Virginia
Replied: 3/4/2011
Law Office of Immigration & International Trade Law
Law Office of Immigration & International Trade Law | Linda Liang
You will be fine!
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 3/4/2011
Nicastro Piscopo, APLC
Nicastro Piscopo, APLC | Louis M. Piscopo
Your father cannot revoke your Green Card. Once it is granted only the USCIS can revoke or rescind the card. They would not rescind or revoke it merely because your step-father asked them to or claimed the marriage was fraudulent.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 3/4/2011
Click to View More Answers: