Can my step father sponsor me to prevent my deportation? 2 Answers as of June 09, 2011

Can my step father sponsor me to prevent my deportation? I'm 24, not married, no kids and my mom marry my step father when I was 15. Thanks

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Fong & Associates
Fong & Associates | William D. Fong
Are you in deportation/removal proceedings? Yes, your step-father can file for you as the marriage creating the step-parent relationship was completed prior to you turning 18. You are now an adult unmarried child of a US citizen, FB-1, with a priority date backlog of seven years. You should consult with an experienced immigration attorney that can analyze the timeline of your case to determine if you are eligible for other benefits. Did your mother naturalize? When?
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 6/9/2011
Carlos E. Sandoval, P.A.
Carlos E. Sandoval, P.A. | Carlos Sandoval
It seems that your step parent is a qualifying relative since he married your mother before you were 18. Now the question is what immigration relief can be obtained for you. It going to depend on many aspects including but not limited to the immigration status of your father, the amount of time you have been in the United states, the reason for which you are being deported, any health problems of your relatives, etc.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 6/9/2011
Click to View More Answers: