Can my spouse get residency even though I am only a permanent resident?t 5 Answers as of July 27, 2011

I am a permanent resident of the US and I met a great guy and we are thinking of getting married. If we do get married, would he be able to live with me here in the US? How long will it take before he would get citizenship?

Oltarsh and Associates, PC
Oltarsh and Associates, PC | Jennifer Oltarsh
As a resident you can petition for your spouse but it will take a few years to get him here.
It would take about 3-4 years for him to get permanent residence, then an additional three years to qualify for citizenship. Please note that the process for permanent residence does not grant any status in the US, it is only when at the latter stage, when his priority date is current and he actually files the I-485 that he can stay in the US. So, he will need a valid nonimmigrant status if he wants to be in the US during the petition process.
At this point, you can file the I-130 petition for him but it will be a few years before he can obtain a green card. Once you are a USC, you can file the I-130 along with the green card application for him. I recommend that you have a consult now with a competent immigration attorney to fully understand the options and to make sure your boyfriend does not do anything now which will bar his green card later.
As an lpr it would take a few years before he would be able to enter the U.S.
As a permanent resident, you can apply for your husband but it may take 2-4 years and if he is not in legal status, he will have to be interviewed by a consular officer. If he has been illegal or overstay for 180 or 365 days, he will be barred for 3 or 10 years respectively. You should consult with an immigration attorney