Can my soon to be ex-husband keep my car that is registered to me? 1 Answers as of August 29, 2016

My husband’s uncle bought us a car a year ago and had it put in my name since I didn't have a vehicle. My husband and I are separated. He has two vehicles of his own that are in his name and I don't want them. I just want my car and he refuses to give it back to me. I told him I was going to report it stolen if he doesn't return it and he keeps saying that I can't do that. Can I report it stolen and get it back or is he right?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Offices of Helene Ellenbogen, P.S.H | Helene Ellenbogen
If your name is the only name on the title, you may be able to report it stolen and get it back. However, it is community property so you may need to get the divorce filed and make a motion to the court to allocate use of assets including the cars.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 8/29/2016
Click to View More Answers: