Can my son receive alimony from a divorce if he is disabled? 3 Answers as of July 19, 2011

My son is paralyzed on left side from recent stroke and his wife told him she is leaving him. She has a government job and makes good salary. Where he is on ss at 900.00 mth. can he receive alimony? If she divorces him he will no longer be able to purchase his seizure meds and medicaid does not pay. What if any finicanial responsibility will she have toward him? They do have 4 yr old daughter she recieves fathers ss and there home is paid for and son worked 2-3 jobs to pay for it.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Goolsby Law Office
Goolsby Law Office | Richard Goolsby
Alimony depends upon a number of statutory factors which his divorce lawyer will go over with him. For instance, he should discuss with his lawyer whether or not there are any fault grounds, such as adultery. Good luck.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 7/19/2011
Law Office Of Jody A. Miller
Law Office Of Jody A. Miller | Jody A. Miller
Alimony is based upon the need of then person asking and the ability of the other person to pay. The judge can consider such factors as the health of the parties and inability to work. So it is possible that your son might be able to get alimony, but he needs to have a consultation with an attorney to determine the viability of his alimony claim.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 7/19/2011
Ashman Law Office
Ashman Law Office | Glen Edward Ashman
Under those facts he may have a claim for alimony, and he should seek legal counsel ASAP.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 7/19/2011
Click to View More Answers: