Can my son's criminal history impact his potential divorce proceedings? Posted on June 05, 2011

My daughter in law filed an order of protection against my son (her husband) which will expire in Aug. 2011. He was in jail for 7 months (Knoxville, TN) for this and another felony charge. She got a HUD apartment and when he was released on 8 years probation, she told him she didn't want to be with him any more and each on should "move on". She has never mentioned divorce. They are friends because of the kids (two girls, 3yrs and 4 yrs). It's been about 3 months now and she wants to get back together. My son said he can't take her back because she's been with someone else. My question is, what should my son do, if anything, to protect himself if she starts divorce proceedings? I told him the divorce request should not come from him because even if they agree on every thing, no child support, no alimony, joint custody, etc, that the judge would probably make him pay through the nose. He's not a very popular person in the Knoxville Courts. I really appreciate any advice you can offer. Thank you very much.