Can my son be charged with possession if he was only a passenger? 2 Answers as of August 15, 2016

My son and his friend went to the casino. They were in his friend’s parent’s car. His friend had a small amount of pot on him. They were pulled over and his friend had it on him. He admitted it was his and that he was the only one using it. They arrested both boys and gave them both a court date. My son was able to get released as soon as I got up there with bond but theirs had to wait. I am worried that at 18 my son will now have a record for just being in the car with him.

James Sterling Lawrence, Attorney at Law | James Sterling Lawrence
He can be charged. He has a good chance at winning at a trial, or he might make a deal for HYTA or 7411 which results in no conviction if he completes probation successfully. At first glance this looks like a case to go to trial, but I would have to see all the reports and talk to the defendant first.
He needs a lawyer ASAP. Yes they can charge anyone, but that does not mean conviction.