Can my sister get me a green card? 3 Answers as of August 25, 2010

My sister is going to become a US citizen next year. Will she be able to get my mother and I a green card? We entered the United States as tourists. Thank you.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
JCS Immigration & Visa Law Office
JCS Immigration & Visa Law Office | Jack C. Sung
When your sister becomes a US citizen, she can apply for your mother and your mother should be able to get the green card within 6 month if an attorney handles the case for her. Your sister can also petition for you for the green card. However, a sibling petition takes at least 8 years to get a priority date and you will be waiting for a long time in the United

I believe before your sister's petition for you becomes current, there will be new immigration law that will allow you to adjust status in the United States by virtue of arriving at a young age.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 8/25/2010
Pacifica Legal Services
Pacifica Legal Services | Floyd Fernandez
The short answer is that you may be able to qualify. I do not know if you have overstayed your visa, and the government may not have much good to say about you coming as tourists, in which you are saying that you are coming temporarily when you actually have intent to stay permanently.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 8/25/2010
Click to View More Answers: