Can my sibling who has a green card be able to petition for me? 5 Answers as of August 10, 2011

Hello, my sister is a Green Card holder for at least 10 years but has moved to my home country for over 5 years (and yes she still has her green card although it expired while she was in Greece but she applied for renewal and she got it) with her husband who is a US citizen born and raised. I also have relatives (cousins, aunts, uncles) who are US citizens currently residing in the US. I am an F1 student and i was wondering if its possible for me to get a Green Card or a job permit or anything that allows me to work legally without having to make my boss fill out 50 forms. (i cant apply for the F1 financial difficulty EAD since my parents are rather wealthy). From the research Ive done there is pretty much nothing i can do other than apply for naturalization after 5 years of being in the US and that is not guaranteed. But I thought I should ask a lawyer as well just to make sure I didnt miss anything, so here I am! :) (Also i know that I cant work legally but what happens if I do and not under the table? I have a SSN) Thank you for all your help.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Reza Athari & Associates, PLLC
Reza Athari & Associates, PLLC | Reza Athari
No, your sister has to be a citizen to petition you. And it will take 8-10 years before you can use it.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 8/10/2011
Fong & Associates
Fong & Associates | William D. Fong
No, your sibling cannot petition for you unless they are a US citizen, it will take some time for her to qualify if she has spent significant time outside the US, it may be 4 years and 1 day before she can apply for citizenship. After she applies for you it generally takes about 10 years for the visas to be current. You are mistaken about being in the US 5 years to be eligible to file for citizenship. You need to be a US permanent resident for 5 years, to qualify to apply for citizenship.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 8/9/2011
Calderón Seguin PLC
Calderón Seguin PLC | Ofelia L. Calderon
An LPR (greencard holder) cannot petition for a sibling. Only a citizen can. Unauthorized employment while on a student visa is a violation of your status and may result in its termination.
Answer Applies to: Virginia
Replied: 8/9/2011
Kazmi & Sakata
Kazmi & Sakata | Harun Kazmi
First, the fact that she has a new green card does not mean she is a resident. If she has lived outside the US for 5 years, she may have voluntarily given up her Residency Status (green card). She must be a citizen to petition you and you do not receive any immigration benefit. It will take over 10 years and you will need independent visa status to stay and work here. You can only become a citizen after 5 years of Lawful Permanent Residency (green card status...not just living here). If you work illegally, you subject yourself to Removal from the U.S. You may obtain a visa as a Treaty Trader if you started a trading business with Greece.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 8/8/2011
Law Office of Immigration & International Trade Law
Law Office of Immigration & International Trade Law | Linda Liang
Your sister can't petition for you as a green card, but as citizen, she can.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 8/8/2011
Click to View More Answers: