Can my partner be petitioned to immigrate to the US? 4 Answers as of June 06, 2011

I am a U.S. citizen living in North Carolina who is looking to petition my same-sex partner, a German national currently living in Germany, for permanent residency. I would like to know what our options are available to be able for my partner to be able to live here legally.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Eric M. Mark, Attorney at Law
Eric M. Mark, Attorney at Law | Eric Mark
Right now immigration law does not recognize same sex partners, but there is hope that may change in the future. If you'd like to provide me your name and contact information, I keep a list of people to contact when the law changes.
Answer Applies to: New Jersey
Replied: 6/6/2011
Fong & Associates
Fong & Associates | William D. Fong
At this time, the USCIS and DOS do not recognize same-sex partners as spouses for an immigration benefit. You can look to another basis for the permanent residence, such as employment-based if your partner meets the requirements and you have a US business to petition. Please review the attached information for your options. Thank you.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 6/6/2011
Law Office of Christine Troy
Law Office of Christine Troy | Christine Troy
The US government does not yet recognize sponsorship for same sex couples, so you can't sponsor him at present. He needs to find his own eligibility under school or work. Please visit my website to review possible visa options!
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 6/6/2011
Theresa E. Tilton, Attorney at Law
Theresa E. Tilton, Attorney at Law | Theresa E. Tilton
Even if your state recognizes same-sex marriages, federal law does not. That means that your partner cannot obtain permanent residency as your spouse. Perhaps your partner could qualify for one of the employment-based immigration categories. You need to consult an experienced immigration lawyer.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 6/3/2011
Click to View More Answers: