Can my mother take my daughter from me? 2 Answers as of September 26, 2016

April 1 2009, I was incarcerated for drugs. My daughter was left by me with my mother a week prior. I got out in 2012 and lived with my parents. Once I moved out, I started to find out my mother didn’t want my daughter to leave with me so when I moved out, she has never let her stay with me. The only time I can see her is if I go to my mother’s and it’s just not working out. My mother does have guardianship. So when I finally decided to say what I’ve been wanting to like I deserve to have her sometimes, my mom said that I needed to consult a lawyer. She knows I’m on a disability case and they have plenty of money. What do I need to do?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Walpole Law | Robert J. Walpole
Your mom is right. You need to consult a lawyer. The guardianship gives your mother the right to dictate matters pertaining to your daughter's upbringing. You need to become self-sufficient, that is have a job on your own residence, and be drug-free. The judge will require it. You might look into parenting classes or something similar. Your mom is looking out for your daughter. You don't have to like it, but those are the ground rules. Good luck.
Answer Applies to: Oklahoma
Replied: 9/26/2016
Kevin H Pate
Kevin H Pate | Kevin H Pate
First, contact Cleveland County Legal Aid 405.325.3702 and see if they can assist. If not, Contact Legal Aid of Oklahoma and see if they can assist. If neither can, you will need to start making contact to private sector attorneys and see if anyone will work a payment plan with you, In truth, many will not due toy our low income level, but many is not all and it is worth the effort to try.
Answer Applies to: Oklahoma
Replied: 9/26/2016
Click to View More Answers: