Can my mother press charges even though I am 18? 1 Answers as of January 26, 2011

I am 18 from CT, and my friend is 33 from MA. When I was 17 years old, I use to take trips by bus to see him without parents permission. When my mother found out, she became infuriated even though nothing sexual had happened at that time yet she never contacted the police. When I turned 18, we decided to turn our friendship into a relationship. Shortly after, I moved in with him. Now my mother is threatening to call the police and get him arrested. My question to you is, are there any charges that can be pressed? Thanks for your time!

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Leone, Throwe, Teller, & Nagle
Leone, Throwe, Teller, & Nagle | Adam J. Teller
The age of sexual consent in Connecticut is generally 16 unless the older party is in a special relationship to the younger person (such as a coach or teacher) in which case it is 18. Therefore, as to anything that may have happened in Connecticut, or if there was no sexual contact either in CT or MA prior to your turning 18, it is unlikely to be a police matter. I am not sure what Massachusetts law may provide for in the case of a 17 year old, but again, if your relationship was not sexual, it is probably not something the police will take an interest it. Your friend, however, should consult with an attorney of his own since any action would be taken against him, not you.
Answer Applies to: Connecticut
Replied: 1/26/2011
Click to View More Answers: