Can my mother petition for me if I have been living in the US for over 10 years? 4 Answers as of February 21, 2011

Can my mother petition me if I'm 21 now but I have been living with her in the United States for more than 11 years?

Yes she can assuming she is a permanent resident or U.S. citizen. There will be a backlog and it is a multistep process. She can file the first stage but it will just get you in line for a visa.

If you would like a consultation on the facts of your specific case feel free to contact me as indicated below. I do charge for consultations but whatever you pay for the consultation would then be a credit toward the fees for your case if we are retained for services after the consultation.
If you mother is a Green Card hold she can petition you if you are not married. If she is a U.S. Citizen she can petition you whether you are married or single. Your legal or illegal status in the U.S. does not affect her right to petition you. However, since you are 21 years old, it will take 5-10 years for you to be eligible to apply for a Green Card. Also, unless you are protected under 245(i) you also may not be able to file for your Green Card in the U.S.

One question is, how did your mother obtain her Green Card? If it was in a category that permits derivative beneficiaries to apply (ex. she was petitioned by an employer or by her parent and if you were a under 21 and single when she was approved) you may be eligible now for a Green Card.
How long you have lived with your Mom in US does not matter. It matters if you are under 21. If you are 21, you may have a problem.
I would need a lot more information to determine your eligibility. Feel free to schedule a consult with me by calling or else please schedule one with a different competent immigration attorney!