Can my mother in law claim her grandson for tax purposes if she supports him? 3 Answers as of January 25, 2011

Is my mother in law able to claim her grandson on taxes? She is on social security and her son and grandson live with her. Her son is unemployed and she supports them both, she pays all the bills.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Steven J. Fromm
Steven J. Fromm | Steven J. Fromm & Associates, P.C.
Yes in all likelihood she can claim him and her father. She must go over all of the criteria with a tax accountant in a face to face meeting with a tax accountant to make sure her situation allows these dependency exemptions.
Answer Applies to: Pennsylvania
Replied: 1/25/2011
Givner & Kaye
Givner & Kaye | Bruce Givner
Sounds like the answer is "yes." But she needs to clear it with her CPA.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 1/25/2011
LT Pepper Law
LT Pepper Law | Luke T. Pepper
Based on this facts, she can claim them as dependents since she is their sole way of support.
Answer Applies to: Pennsylvania
Replied: 1/24/2011
Click to View More Answers: