Can my mother get a life policy on me without my permisssion after I am an adult? 7 Answers as of November 14, 2011

My mother got an life insurance policy on me after I was an adult. I just found out about this and me and my wife are not happy about this. Is it legal for her to have done this without my permission?

Harville-Stein Law Offices, LLC
Harville-Stein Law Offices, LLC | Dean D. Stein
You should be aware of any insurance policies taken out on your life,for the following reasons: Most require a medical exam ofthe proposed insured, most require the signed consent of the proposed insured to obtain medical records,the person purchasing the policy must have an "insurable interest", that is, a connection by blood, marriage or business relationship, and last,mostrequire the signature of the insured! A parent can take out a policy on a child under age 15, without their consent or knowledge. If you are not happy about this, discuss with your mother why, and how, and with what company, she took out the policy, and if not satisfied, contact the insurance company to make them aware that you did not sign any consents in this matter.
Depending on the company, probably yes. And unless you think she plans to kill you for the insurance money, it would be ridiculous for you to be upset, as it costs you nothing and has no effect whatsoever on you.
Yes, she can, as long as she has an insurable interest, which as her son, she would have. The insurable interest requirement keeps people from taking out policies on complete strangers and turning insurance into a gambling system.
THE BROOME LAW FIRM, LLC
THE BROOME LAW FIRM, LLC | Barry D. Broome
I am assuming that it is an individually applied for coverage and not a group plan. A life insurance application must have the insured's signature. The owner can be different than the insured but the insured must authorize it. Do you ever remember signing for the insurance? Look at the application that is in the policy itself and determine if insured's signature is yours.
Martin Barnes - Attorney at Law
Martin Barnes - Attorney at Law | Martin Barnes
A life insurance policy should be issued with the knowledge and consent of the one being insured. Disclaimer: The response above does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice.
    Coulter's Law
    Coulter's Law | Coulter K. Richardson
    Yes it is generally legal. Corporations do it all the time for their senior executives. They are called "key man" policies. It is a little bit unusual but putting aside your garden variety conspiracy theories, your mother has a vested interest in you staying alive if only to take care of her in her golden years. If you die, the money will pay for her care in your absence.
    Donaldson Stewart, PC
    Donaldson Stewart, PC | Monica H. Donaldson Stewart
    Any person can purchase and pay for a policy to insure the life of any other person - no consent is needed.