Can my mother continue a visa petition that my father started? 3 Answers as of June 09, 2011

When I was 17 years old my U.S. citizen father applied for a visa for me to reside in the U.S. while I was living in Mexico, but he never finished the process. He was approved on his petition, however. My mother now is a U.S. citizen, can she continue that previous process? Or will we have to start another one? I am now 25 years old.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Fong & Associates
Fong & Associates | William D. Fong
Please clarify what you mean by "he was approved on his petition." Do you have an approved I-130 and is your father still alive?
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 6/9/2011
Carlos E. Sandoval, P.A.
Carlos E. Sandoval, P.A. | Carlos Sandoval
Is your father deceased? If so it is possible to request to substitute your mother as sponsor for humanitarian reasons. If that's not the case your mother will have to file a new petition for you.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 6/9/2011
Calderón Seguin PLC
Calderón Seguin PLC | Ofelia L. Calderon
You have to start again. But you should look at the old petition and see how far along he got. I don't know what he never finished the process means. Did he file it? Was it approved? You need to speak to an experienced immigration attorney and bring all the papers related to your case.
Answer Applies to: Virginia
Replied: 6/8/2011
Click to View More Answers: