Can my landlord take me to court for money I owed to a previous landlord? 5 Answers as of June 20, 2011

I have a new landlord and he's trying to evict me with back rent that I owed the previous landlord/owner.

Komanapalli Massey LLP
Komanapalli Massey LLP | Mark A. Massey, Esq.
His right depends upon whether your contract with the prior order was assignable or not. If your intent was to contract only and specifically with the prior owner, and the contract does not indicate that it is assignable by him, then you do not owe the new owner. And vice versa, if the contract is assignable. You probably do owe the new owner the rent you did not pay his predecessor. Sorry.
Yes. He probably can. When a new owner takes over there are typically adjustments made between the new owner and the old owner that reflect any money due from tenants and the right to collect that rent usually gets passed on to the new owner.
Frances R. Johnson
Frances R. Johnson | Frances R. Johnson
If the current landlord was assigned or essentially took over the contractual rights of the previous landlord, yes.