Can my landlord give me a 72 hour notice on an old unsatified judgement if I have paid my rent? 5 Answers as of June 24, 2011

I owe several thousand in back rent from when I was unemployed last year. Since gaining full employment this year my landlord wants me to pay $2000 a month to catch up. My original rent is $1095. In February I paid $1500, in March I paid $2000, in April I paid $2000, in May I could only pay $1200 and I just paid $1100 yesterday. The landlord calls me today to say he is going to court to get a 72 hour notice tomorrow if I don't pay another $1700 before then. Is this legal?

Michael R. Nack, Attorney at Law
Michael R. Nack, Attorney at Law | Michael R. Nack
In Missouri we don't have any such thing as a 72 hour notice.
Your landlord cannot just go to court and get a 72 hour notice. He must first serve you with a demand for payment and then commence a landlord and tenant special proceeding against you. Then, if he wins, he gets a warrant to remove you and then you get a 72 hour notice.
Law Offices of Steven A. Fink
Law Offices of Steven A. Fink | Steven Alan Fink
Landlord cannot throw you out. The most he can do is file a lawsuit for the unpaid rent. He has waived right to evict you by accepting late payments and the current month's rent.
Frances R. Johnson
Frances R. Johnson | Frances R. Johnson
It completely depends upon exactly what the agreement was between you and your landlord (the written agreement) about catching up on back rent plus staying current on your ongoing obligation. I suggest consulting an attorney or legal aid/legal services where you live for an attorney who can read the relevant documents and tell you your options.