Can my landlord evict me for letting my sister in law stay with me? 10 Answers as of June 26, 2013

I just got served a 10 day eviction notice for allowing my sister in law to stay while she was looking for a place to live. What are my rights here?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law & Mediation Office of Jeffrey L. Pollock, Esq.
Law & Mediation Office of Jeffrey L. Pollock, Esq. | Jeffrey Lawrence Pollock
Did you break a term of your lease by having guests that were more than just a weekend visit? Read the Agreement that you signed. Consider asking the Landlord for permission to pay an additional amount while she is there for addl. utilities used, parking space, etc.
Answer Applies to: Pennsylvania
Replied: 8/22/2011
The Law Offices of Robert W. Bellamy
The Law Offices of Robert W. Bellamy | Robert W. Bellamy
Depends on your lease agreement.
Answer Applies to: Alabama
Replied: 6/26/2013
Dunnings Law Firm
Dunnings Law Firm | Steven Dunnings
What does your lease say about having visitors or guests staying with you overnight?
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 6/26/2013
Law Offices of Timothy G. Kearney, LLC
Law Offices of Timothy G. Kearney, LLC | Timothy G. Kearney
Without seeing your lease agreement and/or the Notice to Quit I cannot answer the question with any certainty. However, Connecticut requires that in the event of a breach of the lease (other than nonpayment or serious nuisance) the Landlord must serve a 15 day curative notice on the tenant advising of the breach. If the Tenant does not cure the problem, the Landlord can then serve the 10 day notice (Notice to Quit). That said, the Landlord always has the option of terminating your lease agreement by lapse of time. This is a no fault eviction that is brought at the termination of a lease period (end of the month for a month to month). Disclaimer: This answer is not meant, nor should it be construed to be legal advice, Further, it is not intended to, nor does it create a lawyer/client relationship with any firm or individual to whom this answer is communicated.
Answer Applies to: Connecticut
Replied: 8/19/2011
Frances R. Johnson
Frances R. Johnson | Frances R. Johnson
You can respond in court (you cannot be ousted in Colorado without the landlord taking you to court) with the reasons why you should not be evicted. Your lease should have some provision that addresses how long a guest can stay without receiving permission from the landlord and you have the duty to comply with it.
Answer Applies to: Colorado
Replied: 8/19/2011
    Law Office of Neal L. Weinstein
    Law Office of Neal L. Weinstein | Neal L. Weinstein
    Depends upon what your lease says, Read your lease. If you do not have a lease, you must be given a 30 day notice to quit and then taken to court after wards.
    Answer Applies to: Maine
    Replied: 8/19/2011
    Law Office of Jared Altman
    Law Office of Jared Altman | Jared Altman
    It all depends on what your lease says and exactly who was already living there. Let's assume that your lease does not allow it. The law still says that all residential leases must be interpreted by courts to allow occupancy by the tenant and another adult and the lawful dependents of the other adult. So, it may be okay.
    Answer Applies to: New York
    Replied: 8/18/2011
    Law Office of Tadd Dietz, PLLC
    Law Office of Tadd Dietz, PLLC | Tadd Dietz
    The rights and responsibilities of landlords and tenants are usually outlined in the lease contract. Landlords may have the right to evict tenants if they feel there has been a breach of the lease agreement. Information regarding the rights, responsibilities, and courses of action available for both landlords and tenants can be found on the Utah State Courts website. See . Additional information regarding the rights of tenants and landlords, and eviction procedure can be obtained from the Utah Renters Handbook which is produced by Utah Legal Services. See . If you are seeking legal advice regarding the specific facts of your case consult an attorney.
    Answer Applies to: Utah
    Replied: 8/18/2011
Click to View More Answers: