Can my landlord evict me for having two pets? 9 Answers as of June 26, 2013

My landlord came to my door and stated he was going to terminate my lease because I rescued a cat and had it on the premises for 1 week. I told the Landlord I was only catsitting the cat until the following Sunday when its new owners would come pick it up. I have a dog and paid a pet deposit but he said I can't have 2 animals in the home; he stated he wanted me out of the apartment and needed me to pay the $250 fee for the cat. He is giving me 2 weeks. I payed rent on time every month and this is one of the few times I actually spoke with the landlord about anything. Is he allowed to do that and only give me 2 weeks to move?

Law & Mediation Office of Jeffrey L. Pollock, Esq.
Law & Mediation Office of Jeffrey L. Pollock, Esq. | Jeffrey Lawrence Pollock
Did you break a term of your lease about pets? Read the Agreement that you signed. Consider asking the Landlord for permission to pay an addl. amount for the addl. pet for the addl. smell/noise/urine stains/etc. If you do not, then he can sue in court for your eviction. He cannot use self-help to evict you.
What, if anything, does they lease say about pets?
No. He can't give you just two weeks to move and he may not be able to terminate your lease at all. But, you're probably going to need to consult with and possibly hire a lawyer to help you assert your rights.
Durgin Law, LLC
Durgin Law, LLC | Matt Durgin
You landlord might be able to charge you the pet deposit since you admitted to having two pets. However, your landlord has to follow the lease provisions for terminating the lease. For a month to month lease that normally requires a months notice. Your question did not give enough info to give a more detailed answer specific to your facts but you can begin by reviewing your lease for Notice requirements and termination provisions.
Law Office of Neal L. Weinstein
Law Office of Neal L. Weinstein | Neal L. Weinstein
No. he has to comply with the lease if you have one.
Answer Applies to: Maine
    What a jerk. I would need more info to give you a legal opinion. I do think you should fight him, and I hope that you win. A lawyer can give you some good advice, so let me know if you want me to assist you. Give me a call, make an appointment to come see me, and let's get moving on this for you. No charge for the telephone call and no charge for the first office visit.
    Frances R. Johnson
    Frances R. Johnson | Frances R. Johnson
    Unless the lease so provides, no. He would have to seek to oust you in a court proceeding where you would effectively have more than 2 weeks.