Can my landlord evict me after I got injured on his property? 1 Answers as of August 06, 2011

The reason the rent was not paid was due to an injury sustained on the staircase that led up to my apartment. The staircase collapsed and I fell 12 feet. I have a broken wrist and broken ankle. The injuries are serious and I have not been able to work since the accident. Can he still evict me?

Law & Mediation Office of Jeffrey L. Pollock, Esq.
Law & Mediation Office of Jeffrey L. Pollock, Esq. | Jeffrey Lawrence Pollock
There are 2 unrelated issues here. Have you breached the lease by not timely paying your monthly rent? If so, then he can sue to evict you. Whether the court will somehow not award him possession and damages out of compassion, I would have no idea. The other issue is whether he can/should be sued for negligence in causing your injuries. Perhaps you can work out a trade-off of some sort if your case against him has merit.