Can my landlord charge me utilities without proof? 2 Answers as of June 10, 2011

I have gotten 4 very high estimated utility bills because my landlord has the gas meters inside of an illegal basement apartment, so the person who comes to read the meters cannot get in. Can I take that money out of my rent since he has not put meters on the outside of house like he was told to do?

Frances R. Johnson
Frances R. Johnson | Frances R. Johnson
In Colorado, no. You don't say who told him to put meters on the outside of the house. If it was some legal authority that did so, file a complaint there.
Palumbo and Kosofsky | Michael Palumbo
Call the power company and make a complaint that you suspect someone has illegally tapped into your power. They should investigate it. If in fact that is the outcome you can sue anyone who had tapped into your power for the additional charges you paid. Also, what you can do is ensure that you are there the next time the meters are read since they are only estimated readings. If that bill comes in with a credit then it's all balanced out and even so then you are not out of pocket. You cannot deduct estimated payments because so long as there is no one tapped into your meter it is all your use and it will balance out in the long run. By the way, who "told" your landlord to move the meters and why do you think that would have force and effect of law?