Can my landlord change the due date after I paid my rent? 4 Answers as of August 01, 2013

I have been renting a house for almost three years. For the first year, I had a lease that stated that my rent was due on the 23rd of the month. After the first year was up, I no longer had a lease but still rented month to month and continued to pay on the 23rd. I paid my rent on July 23rd 2013 but now my landlord is telling me that I have to pay on the 1st for August due date. That means that I will have paid two months rent in only two weeks. Can they do that? I can't afford to pay two months in two weeks.

Gateway Legal Group | Christian J. Albut
In order for the rental date to be changed the landlord would have to give you at least 30 days written notice. If written notice was given then you would have to pay. If not you have a good argument that the due date of rent is the 23rd of each month. However, this is all dependent on the terms of the written agreement, but you did state the written agreement called for rent on the 23rd as well.
Stuart P Gelberg
Stuart P Gelberg | Stuart P Gelberg
The terms can be changed on 30 days notice.
Harper Law Offices, Inc. P.S.
Harper Law Offices, Inc. P.S. | Joseph T. G. Harper
In Washington, RCW 59.18.140 provides that changes can be made but you must be given at least 30 days advance notice, or consent to an earlier effective date. If your rent was always paid on the 23rd, changing the due date to the 1st would be subject to the 30-day advance notice law. The way it ought to work is from July 23rd to August 23rd, you have your 30-days, with a new pay date of September 1st being the soonest effective date. This 30-day period gives you the opportunity to stay and comply with the new change, or take the 30-days time period to give your notice and relocate.
Perhaps there is a miscommunication, is the due date of the rent is going to be changed and you are paying your rent in advance, which is customary, then it would appear that you are paid up until August 23 and therefore the additional rent due on August 1 would only be from August 23 to September 1.