Can my landlord cancel my lease if he sells the apartment? 10 Answers as of August 08, 2011

My landlord is trying to sell his apartment. I just signed a 12 month lease on it. If he sells the apartment, will the lease be broken?

Durgin Law, LLC
Durgin Law, LLC | Pearl Hsieh
The buyer will generally take it subject to the lease unless there is a provision in your lease agreement with your landlord that says otherwise.
Palumbo and Kosofsky | Michael Palumbo
It depends on the terms of the lease.
Frances R. Johnson
Frances R. Johnson | Frances R. Johnson
It depends upon what the terms of the lease agreement state about that situation.
The general answer is "no". Your lease survives. Unless your lease specifically grants the landlord the right to cancel. You have to read your lease very carefully.
Law Offices of Timothy G. Kearney, LLC
Law Offices of Timothy G. Kearney, LLC | Timothy G. Kearney
Generally a purchaser would be bound to honor the lease. An exception might be if the lease contained a termination clause which allowed the landlord to cancel the lease under certain conditions. (sale of the property, for example). I would have to review the lease to be certain, however. Good luck!