Can my husbands lawyer talk to my lawyer about our divorce? 18 Answers as of March 08, 2011

My husband is in Korea and he says that his lawyer wants to talk to my lawyer about our divorce. Is this legal?

Michael Rose Attorney at Law
Michael Rose Attorney at Law | Michael Rose
Yes, lawyers talk to settle the divorce.
Rhonda R. Werner Schultz, PL
Rhonda R. Werner Schultz, PL | Rhonda R. Werner Schultz
The two lawyers should be talking in order to try to sort out your issues.
Lori C. Obenauf LLC
Lori C. Obenauf LLC | Lori C. Obenauf
Yes. The lawyers are your agents and should speak with each other in an effort to negotiate a settlement for the both of you. Your lawyer should not reveal anything that you have told him or her in confidence, however, nor should he or she agree to any settlement without your consent. You should discuss any concerns you have with your lawyer.
absolutely. It would be unethical for the attorney to speak to the opposing party.
Kaczmarek Law Firm, LLC
Kaczmarek Law Firm, LLC | Bridgette D. Kaczmarek
This is perfectly legal. In fact, this is exactly what occurs in all legal actions where you have more than one party (which is every case). Your attorney would talk to the other attorney and if you were unrepresented, his attorney would speak directly to you and vice versa. So there is nothing wrong or improper about his attorney speaking with your attorney. Since you are represented, his attorney would have to speak to your attorney. He would be prohibited from speaking with you directly, if you were represented.
    Bartholomew & Wasznicky LLP
    Bartholomew & Wasznicky LLP | Hal D. Bartholomew
    It is legal for each party's attorney to talk to the other. This helps with the negotiations and often resolves in a quicker agreement.
    It is not only legal; it is critical that he do so. Because, his lawyer cannot talk to you without your lawyer's permission & vice-versa. Neither lawyer can properly represent his client without talking to the other side - especially when the spouses are on opposite sides of the world. When both parties have lawyers, letting the lawyers do the talking is the best way to avoid the kind of anger and conflict that can keep you and your husband from being able to work out reasonable terms for the divorce.
    Goldberg Jones
    Goldberg Jones | Zephyr Hill
    Yes. It is legal and necessary to complete your settlement.
    Harris Law Firm
    Harris Law Firm | Jennifer C. Robins
    Yes, in fact, when both the husband and the wife are represented, the attorneys must communicate with one another, not the opposing spouse. In Oregon, an attorney contacting a party who has a lawyer is unethical. The attorney must contact the other attorney.