Can my husband withold my medication? 4 Answers as of August 11, 2010

Can my husband withhold my medication and dispense it to me as directed? He does not believe in taking medication. I am humiliated each time I have to ask for my next dose, which he hides. I am of sound and able mind, 46 years old and married for 20 yrs. I believe this is a control issue, however I want to know if I have to turn over my medications to him every time I refill them? What can I do if this practice is illegal?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Robert P. Jarvis, PC
Robert P. Jarvis, PC | David Anderson
Unfortunately, this is not a legal question. This is a common sense question. If your relationship with your husband is such that he controls your medication then you need to seriously consider what you are doing in a relationship like that.
Answer Applies to: Arizona
Replied: 8/11/2010
Law Offices of Juan Dotson
Law Offices of Juan Dotson | Juan Dotson
Consider taking your husband to see and talk to your doctor or pharmacist about his practice of withholding your medication. Prescription medications are only for the person with a prescription. Unlawful possession or use may be a misdemeanor or felony.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 8/10/2010
Nelson & Lawless
Nelson & Lawless | Terry Nelson
You are asking for a solution to marital problems, not legal problems. You can either resolve it yourself and remain together, or allow it to force a separation or divorce if a serious enough dispute is present.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 8/10/2010
Prometheus: A Social Justice Law Firm
Prometheus: A Social Justice Law Firm | Aly Ebrahimzadeh
There are civil wrongs and family law matters here. Consult with an attorney to help you with this, but a marriage counselor may be useful as well. I handle civil litigation and family law in California, and you may contact me for a consultation appointment if you like.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 8/10/2010
Click to View More Answers: