Can my husband withhold my medication? How? 13 Answers as of May 11, 2015

Can my husband withhold my medication and dispense it to me as directed? He does not believe in taking medication. I am humiliated each time I have to ask for my next dose, which he hides. I am of sound and able mind, 46 years old and married for 20 yrs. I believe this is a control issue, however I want to know if I have to turn over my medications to him every time I refill them? What can I do if this practice is illegal?

The practice is not illegal, but as you pointed out one of control. You do not need to give him your prescription for him to dispense.
Your marriage is your marriage. Either deal with his rationale, or get divorced. It is pretty simple.
S. Joseph Schramm | Joseph Schramm
As long as he is not endangering your health in any way there is nothing illegal about what your husband is doing.
Candiano Law Office
Candiano Law Office | Charles J. Candiano
You already know the answer to this question.
No, you have no obligation to allow him access or posession of your medications, and by doing so, you are allowing him to control you. Instead of him hiding your medications from you, you should hide your medications from him. Sound like you two have some serious marital issues. As I see it, you have three choices: 1) Get counselling; 2) Get a divorce; 3) Live with the situation.
    He has no right to take your medication from you. You purchase it so do not hand it over to him. ?Ask him if he thinks it would be fair for you to take his car keys and make him beg to get them. Should you be able to tell him how to shave or use the bathroom [after all, all women thinks men are messy at that]. If he thinks you should not be taking medication, bring him along the next time you go to your Dr. and have him/her tell your husband why it is necessary. ?point out that if he does nor allow you to take the medication you may not be able to function and he will have to cook his meals, clean the house, and take care of you.
    End, Hierseman & Crain, LLC | J. Michael End
    You are free to do whatever you want. This is not a legal question.
    Law Offices of Robert Burns
    Law Offices of Robert Burns | Robert Burns
    You don't have to do so unless he is your conservator. If this problem continues, you should get marital counseling and consider a restraining order and divorce.
    Law Offices of Richard M. Levy P.C.
    Law Offices of Richard M. Levy P.C. | Richard M. Levy
    No. He has no rights to control your medication.
    I doubt that his practice is illegalbut it is certainly irksome. You might try telling him that it is against the law to transfer possession of many prescribed medicines to another person. You could also risk telling him that you strongly object to his trying to control you as he has been doing, and that you will not stand for it anymore. You might want to find a women's support group to give you...well, support. You might also consult your prescribing doctors, and ask them to tell him to lay off.
    This is the stuff that cause divorces. Don't give him the meds, but take them as directed.
    Adler Law Group, LLC
    Adler Law Group, LLC | Lawrence Adler
    Your husband has no right to dispense your medication without a court order.
    Unless he has some court or administrative order, the medication is yours, and not his. Independent of an order of some sort giving him control, he has no right to possess or control the Rx; as a matter of fact, it is against the law. Good luck.