Can my husband travel out of the US if he has a green card? 4 Answers as of June 21, 2011

Can my husband, who was convicted of a felony in the late 80's, travel on his green card out of the country? Or can he file for citizenship? I am a citizen.

Baughman & Wang
Baughman & Wang | Justin X. Wang
He should consult with immigration attorney before he applies for N-400 or leaves the US. It is possible that he will be subject to removal if he does either.
Your husband will be subjected to a possibility of deportation if, upon re-entry into the USA, an electronic background check on his biometric ID turns up the felony conviction. But it is not necessarily going to be the case, unless Border & Customs agents find that Immigration & Customs Enforcement has initiated proceedings to deport him. If he has not notified CIS of any change of address, that situation may exist. It is almost certain to do so on his citizenship application, unless, his felony is not an aggravated felony or a crime involving moral turpitude. Aggravated felonies are typically those involving murder, kidnapping, domestic violence, or drugs. Crimes involving moral turpitude include drug offenses and theft, along with prostitution. If your husband falls within them, there may be a problem, and I would not apply for citizenship.
He should file for Citizenship before traveling outside the U.S. or he may have issues.
Lyttle Law Firm, PLLC
Lyttle Law Firm, PLLC | Daniella Lyttle
Depending on conviction, he may naturalize. You must meet with a lawyer before filing.