Can my husband still get his ten year green card if I divorce him? 8 Answers as of June 02, 2013

I have been married to my husband for two and a half years. He has two year green cards. Now he fill out an i175 form to get his ten year green card. I want to divorce him. My rent went up and my income went down. He always likes to live in the house and not pay bills. I have to do what is best for me so I would not be homeless. Can you help me?

If he can prove that the marriage was bona fide at the time it was entered into and through its termination and was not entered into for immigration benefits, he can get the conditional status lifted even if he is divorced. But the burden is heavier upon him to prove the bona fide marriage.
Your husband may still be able to get his green card if you divorce. The issue will be whether he can convince USCIS that the marriage was bona fide.
HADJIAN LAW P.C. | ZARI HADJIAN
Yes under certain circumstances.
Better yet, help yourself. You know what is best for you and you don't need permission from me or anyone else to be happy. The question is what do you want to do? When you find the answer to that, then go ahead and do it. In terms of the gist of your question, the answer seems very clear: 1) if you worry about him, then stay married and help him through his I-751 and then divorce him; 2) if you really worry about yourself as you just stated, then divorce him already.
Bell, Nunnally & Martin, LLP | Karen-Lee Pollak
You can divorce your husband and file the I751 as long as you can provide evidence your marriage was in good faith such as photos; joint bills; joint insurance. You also need to provide your divorce decree.
    If he can prove up that it is a bona fide marriage, then he should be able to get his 10-year card, even if divorced.
    Your husband is allowed to file for his own green card at this point. My recommendation is that he has a consult with a competent immigration attorney in his area as these types of cases can be quite complicated. If you want a divorce, there is no legal requirement that you sponsor him for the permanent green card.
    Baughman & Wang
    Baughman & Wang | Justin X. Wang
    You can divorce him and then he can file I-751 to remove condition himself. If USCIS determines that the marriage is bona fide, he can get his ten year green card.