Can my husband stay in the usa and work while we do the process of making him a citizen? 4 Answers as of July 03, 2013

Can my husband stay in the usa and work while we do the process of making him a citizen if he came here on a M-1 visa?

Christian Schmidt, Attorney at Law
Christian Schmidt, Attorney at Law | Christian Schmidt
I guess you mean applying for a green card for him. Yes, he can remain in the U.S. and will receive a work permit in the course of applying for a green card through your marriage.
You would not be filing for citizenship for him; it would be permanent residence (green card). But, yes, if he entered lawfully, then he can apply for adjustment of status and employment authorization.
There are two questions there. If he entered lawfully and you are a USC applying for his green card, DHS will overlook his overstay and allow him to apply for a green card in the US. Work permission is not granted during this time. He needs to apply for his green card and can ask for a work permit then.
If you are a US citizen, the short answer is yes. But there are other factors that need to be discussed with a seasoned immigration attorney. Come and see me for a free consultation.