Can my husband really be charged with theft? 2 Answers as of August 14, 2011

My husbands mother passed away a few months ago. No Will or anything in writing for her two vehicles left behind as to who would have. Vehicles are still registered to the mother who passed. My husbands older sister stated one vehicle would go to her and the other to him. There is no title available to the vehicle said to be his but he does have the registration. He towed the vehicle from where the sister gave directions, now she says she is filing theft charges. Is that possible?

Connell-Savela
Connell-Savela | Jason Savela
Well she can try but that seems difficult to prove - who was the car stolen from? How do we known he did not have her permission?
Frances R. Johnson
Frances R. Johnson | Frances R. Johnson
It depends upon how the estate is probated. If a probate court has a proceeding open to determine how your husband's mother's property should be distributed and he should have obtained permission before taking the vehicle, possibly.