Can my husband just take everything I own? 17 Answers as of September 02, 2011

My husband abandoned me took everything with any value, now he is trying to take my house and land (I am here). Most everything is in my name and he is signing my name to a lot of credit cards, titles, closing business account that I opened up, and coming to the house when I'm not here and slowly taking everything. He has a lot of crooked police friends and even a judge. What can I do?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Reeves Law Firm, P.C.
Reeves Law Firm, P.C. | Roy L. Reeves
File for divorce and get temporary orders in place, then start a long process of tracing your assets.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 8/30/2011
Beaulier Law Office
Beaulier Law Office | Maury Beaulier
You should hire legal counsel. In a divorce, all assets are presumed marital until determined otherwise. That means you have strong arguments to be awarded one half of the value of all assets in your case.
Answer Applies to: Minnesota
Replied: 8/29/2011
Law Office of Michael W. Bugni
Law Office of Michael W. Bugni | Jay W. Neff
You are going to have to file a divorce action to give the court a basis to sort out the property. The statute says that the court is to make a fair and equitable division of all of the property. There are a number of factors that the court is supposed to consider in reaching that division. If the court is going to divide the property, it first has to classify it. All of the property is going to be classified as your separate property, your spouse's separate property, or community property. Which of these classifications a particular piece of property falls into will depend on how and when the property was obtained. In most cases, property obtained during the marriage will be community property. Once the property is classified, how it gets divided will depend on a number of factors. Some of the factors that the court may consider are the duration of the marriage, the ages of the parties, the health of the parties, the educational background of the parties, the employment history of the parties, and each party's future prospects. The court then has to come up with what the court believes is a fair and equitable division of all of the property using these and other factors. Now, if there is enough community property so that the court can come up with a fair division using just the community property, the court will generally do that. However, if there is not enough community property for the court to reach what it believes is a fair division, then, it can invade separate property.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 8/26/2011
Cody and Gonillo, LLP
Cody and Gonillo, LLP | Christine Gonilla
You must report the stolen items to the police. If you file for divorce you can request exclusive possession. Also change the locks.
Answer Applies to: Connecticut
Replied: 8/26/2011
The Davies Law Firm, P.A.
The Davies Law Firm, P.A. | Robert F. Davies, Esq.
You need a smart and tough attorney to put a stop to his actions, and get back what he stole. I can help you with this. Give me a call, make an appointment to come see me, and let's get moving on this for you. No charge for the telephone call and no charge for the first office visit.
Answer Applies to: New Jersey
Replied: 8/26/2011
    Dunnings Law Firm
    Dunnings Law Firm | Steven Dunnings
    If you have not filed for divorce you should and try to get an injunction against him. If he is forging your signature, you need to file a complain with the police.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 8/26/2011
    Horizons Law Group, LLC
    Horizons Law Group, LLC | Michelle B. Fitzgerald
    Get a restraining order, then also file for divorce. You need to put a stop immediately to all of this through the restraining order. Also sounds like some fraud with the credit cards and such - perhaps get police involved. But the restraining order is immediate.
    Answer Applies to: Wisconsin
    Replied: 8/26/2011
    Michael D. Fluke, P.A.
    Michael D. Fluke, P.A. | Michael D. Fluke
    File for Divorce and start taking action. As long as you are married, the property he is removing is marital property and he has as much right to it as you do. I suggest you consult an experienced Family Law attorney to discuss your case in greater detail and learn all of your rights and options. Good luck.
    Answer Applies to: Florida
    Replied: 8/26/2011
    Ashman Law Office
    Ashman Law Office | Glen Edward Ashman
    First of all, if you call judges crooked, you will find yourself to be unable to find a lawyer. Second, if he is committing forgeries, you should be making reports with the FBI and local police and swearing out warrants. He would be in jail rather than in your home. Third, why have you not hired a lawyer and gotten a restraining order? When you sit on your hands and refuse to hire a lawyer, you will do very badly in the case.
    Answer Applies to: Georgia
    Replied: 8/26/2011
    Law Office of Rhonda Ellifritz | Rhonda Ellifritz
    File for divorce immediately so that the automatic restraining orders that take effect upon service of summon will come into force. If you stay married, he will ruin you financially. Run a credit report to find out what accounts are out there and close all accounts in your name.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 8/25/2011
    John E. Kirchner, Attorney at Law
    John E. Kirchner, Attorney at Law | John Kirchner
    No. When you file for divorce, the procedure requires that all marital property be divided fairly. There are no absolute rules, but 50/50 is typically the starting point. If you and your husband cannot agree on how to split things up, a judge will make that decision. If he is incurring credit in your name and closing accounts that are in your name, he is probably committing criminal forgery. That will be a relevant factor in deciding how the property should be divided. You need to consult a lawyer and begin the divorce process as soon as you can.
    Answer Applies to: Colorado
    Replied: 8/25/2011
    Glenn E. Tanner
    Glenn E. Tanner | Glenn E. Tanner
    File for divorce, seek immediate ex parte restraining orders preventing the activity you are concerned about. Seeking temporary orders to do the same when the ex parte orders run out and then push for a final resolution at trial asking for the same things.
    Answer Applies to: Washington
    Replied: 8/25/2011
    Beresford Booth PLLC
    Beresford Booth PLLC | S. Scott Burkhalter
    File for divorce, get ex parte restraining orders and pursue a motion for temporary orders.
    Answer Applies to: Washington
    Replied: 8/25/2011
    Raheen Law Group, P.C.
    Raheen Law Group, P.C. | Wali Raheen
    You must speak with a lawyer to evaluate your case. Please don't wait. Just because he knows a judge or some police officers does not mean he can do anything he wants.
    Answer Applies to: Virginia
    Replied: 8/25/2011
    Diefer Law Group, P.C.
    Diefer Law Group, P.C. | Abel Fernandez
    You might need to file for divorce immediately and ask that the court intervene in order for you to have protection against fraud.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 8/25/2011
    Law Offices of Arlene D. Kock
    Law Offices of Arlene D. Kock | Arlene D. Kock
    File a divorce action as well as a motion for exclusive occupancy of the home, an accounting from husband of what he has taken from the house, close any cards he opened in your name, order he not open any more credit in your name and provide an accounting of any money he may have taken from your business account. To be sure you know all that may be going on, you should pull a current credit report.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 9/2/2011
Click to View More Answers:
12 3 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney