Can my husband help me acquire legal status? 9 Answers as of June 06, 2013

I want to know if my fiance can acquire a legal status (such as a green card) when we get married. He is currently a resident and I entered the United States at the age of the 7 back in 2000 with a visa. Currently my visa has been expired since 2007.

Once he becomes a US citizen, he can petition for you and you will be able to adjust status to permanent residence within the US. Until then he cannot confer any immediate immigration benefits upon you.
Hakim, Daman & Toma, P.C. | Eman H. Jajonie-Daman
When you get married, your husband can petition for you but as a spouse of an LPR visa will become available in approximately 2 years.
He can petition for you as his wife, and you would get, once his petition is approved, ability to apply for a green card, once your preference category (FB-1) becomes current. If the new law about to be passed is in its present proposed form, your petition can be adjusted to that of an immediate relative, because immediate relatives of legal residents will become immediately eligible for a green card without waiting through a waiting period, just like immediate relatives of citizens (spouses.
Christian Schmidt, Attorney at Law
Christian Schmidt, Attorney at Law | Christian Schmidt
Your husband would have to become a US citizen for you to apply for a green card through him. He must have been a permanent resident for at least 4 years and 9 months in order to apply.
Law Office of Bill Travis Klein
Law Office of Bill Travis Klein | Bill T. Klein
Your husband may be eligible for DACA. If he hasn't applied already it might be a good idea to apply to benefit from any new Immigration Laws that may be created in Congress this year. There may be other options as well depending on the facts of your situation.
    Law Office of Pho Ethan Tran PLLC
    Law Office of Pho Ethan Tran PLLC | Pho Ethan Tran
    Yes. It appears as if you may be eligible to apply for adjustment of status after you marry your fiance and he becomes a US citizen. He will need to petition for you on form I-130 and you can concurrently apply for adjustment of status on form I-485.
    Your spouse could help you become a lawful permanent resident assuming he applies for naturalization and becomes a U.S. citizen. You will not be able to adjust your status in the U.S. through a lawful permanent resident as you are out of status unless you are grandfathered under INA 245(i).
    Ben T. Liu Law Office
    Ben T. Liu Law Office | Ben T. Liu
    Your issue is that there is a wait of a few years before you can file the I-485 because your future husband is only a permanent resident. Hope he can be a citizen soon. ? you can be an immediate relative.
    LAW OFFICES OF S. OUYA MAINA | SAMUEL OUYA MAINA
    Once you are married your husband can petition for you to become a Lawful Permanent Resident. The process will be much faster if he becomes a US citizen.