Can my husband's guns be registered in my name? 9 Answers as of May 10, 2012

My husband purchased two guns prior to knowing he was a felon. Can they be registered in my name now? We are in California.

It is not a question of merely re-registering them. He cannot be in actual or constructive possession of them.
Law Offices of James H. Dippery, Jr. | James H. Dippery, Jr.
How did he NOT know he was a felon? There are probably extreme measures that can be taken to completely exclude your husband from any ownership, possession, right to control, etc. of those guns, but I would not rely on any of them to a certainty. He is playing with fire, especially if he is still on probation.
Todd Landgren, Professional Law Corp.
Todd Landgren, Professional Law Corp. | Todd Landgren
Yes, but you must be VERY careful. If your husband has access to a gun, even though registered to you, he could be charged with constructive possession of the firearm.
Yes and do it immediately. Probably be better offif he sells them back to the gun dealer and then you buy them. Make damn sure you keep them in a locked gun safe where you have the only key and don't keep the key at home; keep it at a friend's house.
LynchLaw
LynchLaw | Michael Thomas Lynch
I am afraid you raise more questions than answers. I don't know how your husband was able to purchase the firearms if he was a convicted felon. Do you live with your husband? If so you would have to make extraordinary measure to ensure he cannot posses such firearms. If you do live with him, can he have someone else take possession and control of the firearms? Are these long guns or hand guns? Call an attorney and review all of these issues for complete advice.