Can my husband's green card be revoked after committing a crime? 10 Answers as of October 28, 2011

My husband is going to prostitutes for more than a year and I found this out 3 months ago. Now he doesn't want to stop this habit and we are going through a divorce. Can his green be revoked for this reason? I have an email in which he has confessed that he is addicted to prostitution.

All American Immigration
All American Immigration | Tom Youngjohn
In a word, yes. But it's always smart to get a second opinion.
Law Offices of Peter Y. Qiu
Law Offices of Peter Y. Qiu | Peter Y. Qiu
As a matter of law, an alien who is convicted for the commission of a crime of prostitution is also guilty of commission a crime of moral turpitude and therefore can be revoked of his/her permanent residency and be subjected to deportation. Therefore, the answer to your question is affirmative.
No, that alone will not have his LPR status revoked. It all depends on how the law deals with it. Good luck!
Yes, it can. He should seek a consult with a competent immigration attorney who specializes in criminal immigration issues to fully analyze his case.
It could be a basis for the revocation or the non-extension of his permanent residence status. This is not up to you, it is a matter of US immigration law.
    Merrill R. Cohen & Associates, PC
    Merrill R. Cohen & Associates, PC | Merrill R. Cohen
    As he has no convictions (yet), he would not necessarily lose his green card. If he were placed in removal proceedings, his email confession would constitute evidence against him, but he is free to submit contrary evidence that would show that the email wasn't a true confession.
    Joseph Law Firm
    Joseph Law Firm | Jeff Joseph
    Possibly. Engaging in prostitution on more than one occasion would be considered a crime involving moral turpitude. If he has a pattern of convictions for prostitution, he would be deportable for multiple crimes involving moral turpitude. The conduct alone will not render him deportable, but if he is convicted on more than one occasion, he would be deportable.
    Your husband may be inadmissible or removable for hiring prostitutes. However, he would either need to be convicted of the crime or have admitted to such a crime. He could be placed in removal proceedings if the Department of Homeland Security believes he inadmissible or removable.
    If he is convicted of one or more crimes for soliciting prostitutes then his green card may be in jeopardy. Do you know if any criminal charges have been filed against him? If not he may just need counseling. Be sure you get yourself tested for AIDS and other sexually transmitted diseases which you may have contracted based on his activities.
    Immigration Law Offices of Misiti Global, PLLC.
    Immigration Law Offices of Misiti Global, PLLC. | Nicklaus Misiti
    Yes, they may attempt to deport him over this. He should speak with and retain an immigration attorney immediately. For a free consultation you may contact my office.