Can my husband be made to pay for a divorce attorney for me? 12 Answers as of April 29, 2014

We have been married 26 years and together 29 years. He recently filed for divorce. I do not feel that the money he has proposed to give me towards alimony and child support to be fair based on the amount of money he makes. I have been a stay at home wife and mother for the duration of the marriage and we have one minor child at home.

Reza Athari & Associates, PLLC | Seth L. Reszko
Yes. You will have to retain an attorney first however. Once you retain an attorney, the attorney can request that your husband pay preliminary attorneys fees to help with your representation during the divorce and attorneys fees at the end of the case for the fees that were not covered with the preliminary order.
John Ceci PLLC
John Ceci PLLC | John Ceci
It is possible You have to show that you cannot pay your legal fees and that the other party can; if you can do that then the court can order a the other party to pay your attorney fees. The court may not order every last dollar you ask for and if you have income that will be considered too but it is possible.
Mediation Services of Southwest Florida
Mediation Services of Southwest Florida | Dennis J. Leffert, J.D.
Yes, the Court can order him to pay your attorney fees. You might want to contact an attorney and be certain that your agreement with the attorney states that the attorney?s fee will be from you husband and that you will not be responsible for it.
J. Barbour Rixey, P.C.
J. Barbour Rixey, P.C. | J. Barbour Rixey
Perhaps in the long run you can get an award of attorney fees but initially it is up to you to hire an attorney.
See an attorney.
    The situation that you describe would be a strong argument for an award of attorneys fees child support and spousal support. Please meet with an experienced family law attorney to explore your legal options.
    Joanna Mitchell & Associates, P.A.
    Joanna Mitchell & Associates, P.A. | Joanna Mitchell
    In most circumstances, you would be required to somehow come up with the money to retain an attorney to assist you, and it is strongly recommended that you do so, especially given the duration of your marriage and potential issues involved. However, in most circumstances, he would be required to reimburse you for any attorney fees that you incurred and may be required to pay temporary attorney fees during the case, should the initial retainer get used up. Many attorneys offer a free initial consultation, including my office (if you are Central Florida). You should consult with an attorney before agreeing to anything.
    This sounds like a situation where the court would order him to pay your attorney fees, but you won't know until you ask.
    Diane l. Berger | Diane L. Berger
    You can certainly ask the court to require him to contribute to the cost of your attorney, but there is no guarantee.
    D. R. Phillips Law Firm, LLC
    D. R. Phillips Law Firm, LLC | Randy Phillips
    You can ask that your husband be ordered to pay for your attorney. It is the trial judge's discretion whether he will have to or not. This would be done at the end of the divorce whereas you would normally have to pay an attorney at the front and ask that you be reimbursed at the end.
    Family Law & Mediation Services, LLC | Carol Jean Romine
    Yes - the court can order your husband to pay a reasonable portion of your attorney fees under these circumstances.