Can my husband be deported if his visa is expired but we are married? 7 Answers as of December 30, 2014

Can my husband get deported if his visa has expired but we are married? My husband came over to the U.S. as my fiance almost 2 years ago, and was under the impression that his visa permission to the U.S. would be covered for the full 2 years. We had planned on marrying and have done so on Christmas Eve, but have now found that his visa was only valid for 90 days. Can he be deported if we are married? He is a British National and wishes to remain so, and I will become a dual citizen of both the U.S. and U.K.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Office of Christine Contreras | Christine Contreras
If he entered on a fiance visa, you were obligated to marry within 90 days. If you did not do so, he violated the terms of the visa. You should speak to an attorney so they can explain the law and how it affects your case. The fact that you married two years later doesn't help as he cannot adjust his status in the US at this point. If immigration finds out, it is likely he could be removed. There are very strict rules that pertain to this that entered on a fiance K-1 visa. It is too complex to explain here.
Answer Applies to: Illinois
Replied: 12/30/2014
Universal Law Group, Inc. | Francis John Cowhig
Your question requires an attorney consultation. It is not a simple question that can be answered on this type of forum. There are many factors that would need to be considered and evaluated. The short answer is that he can be deported. I strongly suggest that you contact an experienced immigration attorney for a face-to-face consultation and give him/her all of the facts surrounding your situation. (S)he would then be in a better position to analyze your case, advise you of your options and, if possible, make sure that the necessary paperwork and documentation is properly presented so as not to delay the process.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 12/30/2014
Baughman & Wang
Baughman & Wang | Justin X. Wang
Unlikely. I suggest you file I-130 and I-485 concurrently.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 12/29/2014
Reza Athari & Associates, PLLC
Reza Athari & Associates, PLLC | Reza Athari
You will have to apply for adjustment of status for him as soon as possible. I recommend that you seek assistance from a local attorney.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 12/29/2014
Alena Shautsova
Alena Shautsova | Alena Shautsova
Yes; you need to act quickly and meet with an attorney.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 12/29/2014
    Coane and Associates
    Coane and Associates | Bruce Coane
    Anyone who is here with no valid legal status could be deported after legal proceedings. I would recommend taking steps to get him in legal status. Feel free to contact our law firm of Coane and Associates if you would like to discuss the details of doing that.
    Answer Applies to: Texas
    Replied: 12/29/2014
    Morales & O'Connor, PLLC
    Morales & O'Connor, PLLC | Myron Morales
    Yes, he can be deported. You should consult with an attorney about an adjustment of status to permanent resident.
    Answer Applies to: Texas
    Replied: 12/29/2014
Click to View More Answers: