Can my husband avoid paying if he leaves the country? 1 Answers as of January 16, 2017

I am Japanese and my husband is a US citizen. We were married in Japan and then he filed for divorce in Japan and also opened a case to sue me in Japan to recover funds he had given me for living expenses after we separated. Once he realized his case wasn't looking good, he quit his job in Japan and moved to the US. My Japanese lawyer has told me that even if the judge in Japan rules in my favor, and orders my husband to pay me living expenses, there is nothing much I can do because he has left the country. Can he divorce me without my consent while he is in the US? Can he avoid paying anything because he is in a different country? Can I sue him in the US even though I am not a US citizen?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Offices of Arlene D. Kock
Law Offices of Arlene D. Kock | Arlene D. Kock
These questions must be directed to an attorney conversant in Japanese law. This question and answer website is only designed for California law.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 1/16/2017
Click to View More Answers: