Can my husband adopt my children without the biological father's consent? 17 Answers as of March 11, 2013

My children have not had any contact with their biological father due to him having a domestic violence charge. Can my husband of 4 years adopt them without the biological fathers consent?

Alison Elle Aleman, Attorney & Counselor at Law
Alison Elle Aleman, Attorney & Counselor at Law | Alison Elle Aleman
No, your ex-husband will have to be given an opportunity to give consent to the adoption. He will have to be served with the petition for the adoption and can appear in court to contest it.
Anteski Law Firm | June Anteski
Yes, you can file for a stepparent adoption in Arkansas if you can show that he has abandoned his children, meaning he has either not paid child support for 12 consecutive months or not communicated with them for 12 consecutive months.
Answer Applies to: Arkansas
McGuire Law Offices | John Smitten
You must terminate the parental rights of the biological father. This can be done by consent or court order.
Henry Lebensbaum | Henry Lebensbaum
No unless there is a court order.
Donaldson Stewart, PC
Donaldson Stewart, PC | Monica H. Donaldson Stewart
In order for your husband to adopt the children, the biological father either needs to consent or his rights need to be terminated by the court. I recommend you consult with an attorney to determine whether the facts exist to pursue termination of his rights.
    Hamblin Law Office | Sally Hamblin
    The biological.fathers rights need to be terminated either voluntarily or involuntarily. Once that occurs, then adoption can be considered.
    Mari Morrison Attorney at Law | Mari Morrison
    NO, you would have to go through probate court and notify all parties including biological fathers whether dna tests have been taken or not.
    Generally, no because the father must be notified of the planned adoption. But, in Colorado and some other states the adoption can be granted over the fathers objection if the court finds a failure to provide financial support or abandonment.
    Simpson Law Office, PLLC | Alexander J. Simpson, III
    Yes, in Mississippi it is possible to adopt without the biological parent's consent. You and your husband will have to file a lawsuit to terminate his parental rights and adopt the child. The lawsuit should be filed in the chancery Court of the county where the child lives. The biological parent is entitled to service of process, and has the right to object. His parental rights can be terminated over his objection if you can prove by clear and convincing evidence that he has abandoned the child, among other possible reasons. Abandonment requires proof that he has had no contact with a child under 3 years of age for 6 months or longer, or no contact with a child over 3 years of age for one year or longer. You will probably have to pay for a Guardian ad Litem . This is an attorney appointed by the court to investigate the circumstances and make a report/recommendation to the court.
    This depends on the law of the State where you are.
    Depending on the circumstances, it may be possible, at least in the state of Michigan, to terminate the bio fathers parental rights allowing the adoption.
    Only if the court says that it is in the best interests of your children. If the bio father has not made any attempt to get the no contact order modified, it doesnt look like he will object to the adoption. You can let him know that it will let him off of child support.
    Gateway Legal Group | Christian J. Albut
    You can go through the adoption, but you would have to file a petition to terminate parental rights to be able to complete the adoption. When you file the petition to terminate you will have to give notice to the father.
    LAW OFFICE OF ANNE B. HOWARD | Anne B. Howard
    Possibly if there is abandonment look at the stepparent rules
    Dennis P. Mikko Attorney at Law | Dennis P. Mikko
    Generally speaking, the biological father would have to consent. There are some exceptions if the biological father has not seen or provided support for the children for a period of time. You should seek the advice of a local attorney who, after reviewing all of the facts, give you some direction.
    WARM SPRINGS LAW GROUP | Elliott D. Yug
    In Nevada I would recommend terminating his parental rights first.
    No, not unless his rights are terminated by the court, and thats a whole other process.