Can my house be foreclosed without my knowledge? 7 Answers as of March 13, 2013

My house was foreclosed yesterday. I got a call today from the city. I had no prior knowledge this was going on.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Janke Legal Consulting | Bruce C. Janke
Under California law, a foreclosure must be commenced by recording and serving on the property owner of a Notice of Default. If the default is not cured within 90 days, the lender must then record and serve a Notice of Trustees Sale. I have heard stories of homes that were sold at a trustee's sale without any prior notice. If the lender failed to strictly follow the statutory rules for notice, the homeowner can file a lawsuit for wrongful foreclosure and regain title to the property. You will definitely need an attorney for this. Please take steps immediately or you may lose your rights.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 3/13/2013
Stephens Gourley & Bywater | David A. Stephens
They are required to send you notices.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 3/13/2013
Underwood & Riemer, P.C.
Underwood & Riemer, P.C. | James D. Patterson
If that took place, it would be a wrongful foreclosure. If you are in the state of Alabama, you must receive a notice from the lender or foreclosing agent (such as a law firm) stating a time and date for the foreclosure sale. This should be delivered by certified mail and regular mail to your home address. Also, the listing of the foreclosure is required to be placed in a local newspaper of general circulation for 3 consecutive weeks. If you have been foreclosed without your knowledge, you may have a good wrongful foreclosure claim against the lender and entity that foreclosed. You need to contact a local attorney who handles these types of cases.
Answer Applies to: Alabama
Replied: 3/13/2013
STASCH LAW LLC | Sarah Stasch
All foreclosures require lots of notice. Since you said, you got a call from the city, was it a tax foreclosure? You will have to find out what happened and try to reverse the foreclosure if you did not receive notice.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 3/13/2013
The Law Office of Darren Aronow, PC
The Law Office of Darren Aronow, PC | Darren Aronow
You should have been served when it started. You should go to county records and get copies of the file and take it to an attorney.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 3/13/2013
    Stacy Joel Safion, Esq.
    Stacy Joel Safion, Esq. | Stacy Joel Safion
    You were supposed to have received the notice of the default and notice of the trustee sale. Unless you do not live in the property, it would be difficult to argue to court you were not aware. Generally the notice of trustees sale is photographed on your property after it is posted.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 3/13/2013
    Frank Law Group, P.C.
    Frank Law Group, P.C. | David E. Frank
    Only if they sent you the correct notices and you failed to read them.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 3/13/2013
Click to View More Answers: