Can my grandfather petition me for a green card or adjustment of status in any way? 5 Answers as of February 01, 2011

I overstayed my visa and I was wondering if my American born citizen grandfather could help me adjust my status?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Pacifica Legal Services
Pacifica Legal Services | Floyd Fernandez
No. Your grandfather cannot sponsor you. You must have a parent, spouse, or child over 21. If that is possible, call me.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 2/1/2011
Law Office of Immigration & International Trade Law
Law Office of Immigration & International Trade Law | Linda Liang
If you are under 21 and not married, he can. Good luck!
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 12/31/2010
Fletcher, Tilton & Whipple, PC
Fletcher, Tilton & Whipple, PC | Kirk A. Carter
No, a grandparent cannot sponsor a grandchild for permanent residence.
Answer Applies to: Massachusetts
Replied: 12/30/2010
Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC
Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC | Lynne Feldman
He cannot directly petition for you to adjust status but you may be entitled to derivative citizenship through his child and your parent
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 12/29/2010
Messing Law Offices, P.L.C.
Messing Law Offices, P.L.C. | John Messing
Your grandfather cannot petition for you as a permanent resident but you may be able to derive (inherit) citizenship from him, if you qualify. You may wish to consult a lawyer.

Without a retainer agreement with this office, there is no attorney client relationship, confidentiality of the attorney client relationship, or responsibility of this office for the case.
Answer Applies to: Arizona
Replied: 12/29/2010
Click to View More Answers: