Can my friend sue me for an accident to her car? 33 Answers as of September 19, 2012

I borrowed a roommates car with her permission and got into an accident. The accident was my fault. Can my friend sue me for an accident to her car?

The Law Office of Josh Lamborn, P.C.
The Law Office of Josh Lamborn, P.C. | Josh Lamborn
If you were responsible for the damage to her car, yes, she can sue you and you could be held liable. However, if you were a permissive user and if she had collision insurance, then her insurance should indemnify you and pay for the damages.
ROWE LAW FIRM
ROWE LAW FIRM | Jeffrey S. Wittenbrink
If the car did not have comprehensive insurance coverage, you may be liable to your friend for your negligence which caused damage to her car, and yes, your friend may sue you if you cannot work out an arrangement to pay for the damage to her vehicle.
Law Offices of Tom Patton
Law Offices of Tom Patton | Thomas C. Patton
The roommates insurance will cover the accident. If you are served with a suit, provide it to your roommate's insurance company.
Yes, but she will have a hard time collecting if you do not own anything. Also, if she had insurance that paid to fix the car, she would have to reimburse her insurance company for anything she recovered from you.
Patrick M Lamar Attorney
Patrick M Lamar Attorney | Patrick M Lamar
Yes
    Wilson & Hajek, LLC
    Wilson & Hajek, LLC | Eddie W. Wilson
    Yes, for property damage to the car. Hopefully you had insurance.
    Bernard Huff, Attorney/Mediator
    Bernard Huff, Attorney/Mediator | Bernard Huff
    She possibly can. Consult with and/or retain a local defendant's accident attorney.
    Yes, she can. She would undoubtedly have a deductible on her collision insurance, and the "right thing" to do would be to offer to pay her the deductible, but make sure you get a release from her for the money you pay her so her insurance company will not come back against you later in a subrogation action to try to collect the money they paid out to fix her car.
    Dearbonn Law Offices
    Dearbonn Law Offices | Ajibola Oluyemisi Oladapo
    yes she can. Please note that this is not legal advise and should not be construed as such.
    The Torkzadeh Law Firm
    The Torkzadeh Law Firm | Reza Torkzadeh
    In the legal world, there are many possibilities of whether one can sue you or not. Theoretically, yes your friend may be able to sue you - however it does not mean that she will be successful in her claim against you. You were a permissive driver and if she had insurance coverage, her insurance could be used to pay for the repairs. I suggest you speak with an attorney who has experience handling these types of claims who can properly evaluate your specific case and advise you on the proper course of action.
    Oliver Law Office
    Oliver Law Office | Jami Oliver
    Actually, yes. If you negligently damage another person's property, then you generally have to compensate the person if you are held liable for the damages. However, auto insurance will usually cover these types of damages and your own auto insurance should "follow you" when you operate someone else's car. If you did not have your own liability insurance, she should have coverage for the property damage under her own policy, but keep in mind that her carrier could come after you for subrogation or reimbursement since you are the party primarily responsible.
    Ewusiak & Roberts, P.A.
    Ewusiak & Roberts, P.A. | Christopher J. Roberts
    If you damaged her car, she could sue you for the repair costs. If there was insurance on the vehicle, she would have a much easier time seeking compensation from the insurance company.
    Kirshner & Groff
    Kirshner & Groff | Richard M. Kirshner
    Yes
    Yes. You are at fault and damaged her property. Hopefully she had collision insurance so there isn't much damages.
    Law Office of Travis Prestwich, PC
    Law Office of Travis Prestwich, PC | Travis Prestwich
    If you were negligent in operating it, it is possible your friend could bring a claim against you for the loss if she did not have insurance to cover those losses. If she did, her insurance would cover it but the insurance carrier could seek reimbursement from you.