Can my friend get child support even though she lives in Mexico? 4 Answers as of February 24, 2011

My friend lives in Mexico and the father of her child lives in the United States the child is from Mexico. My question is can she file for child support even if the child is from Mexico and the father lives in the United States and has a green card?

Check with the District Attorney Child Support Division of the county where he lives.
The mother would be well advised to go the U.S. state where the father currently resides and make an appointment with the state child support enforcement agency in that state to discuss her situation.

They may be able to establish a child support obligation for her and arrange to collect and forward the funds to her address in Mexico. Trying to do everything from Mexico would probably not work for her.
Law Office of Donna Nanan, PL
Law Office of Donna Nanan, PL | Donna Nanan
This is really an issue about the jurisdiction of the courts in the US. If the child and mother are Mexican nationals living in Mexico, a judge in the US cannot order a green card holder in the US to pay child support for a child who is not a US citizen because the court's jurisdiction does not extend to Mexico, only to other states within the US. I hope this answer is informative.
You need to consult the court. You should be okay if the other party is reachable and will show for court.