Can my friend finish probation outside of the US after being deported? 4 Answers as of December 04, 2010

My friend deported 8 months ago to Mexico. He needs to finish probation so he can travel to another country. He has one felony - which is not the problem. He does NOT want to return to the US. He does wish to take care of probation because of the bench warrant. He cannot return to the US to do this. Can anything specific be done? Can things be done by a non lawyer person? Can payment arrangement be set up? Anyone in county or consulate who can help take care of this problem for free that I need to be talking to? Is there any free county or state department to talk to, where, who needs to call, what info is needed?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Messing Law Offices, P.L.C.
Messing Law Offices, P.L.C. | John Messing
It is unlikely your that friend will be allowed to finish probation outside of the U.S. but his deportation means he did not stop participating voluntarily. If the goal is to straighten out the bench warrant, your friend could call the Clerk of the Court or probation officer to find out how to do this, and if necessary, the criminal defense attorney who represented the friend in the criminal matter in the first place.

Please note that without a retainer agreement, we do not represent you or your friend, no communication is attorney client privileged, and we cannot be responsible for your friend's case.
Answer Applies to: Arizona
Replied: 12/4/2010
JCS Immigration & Visa Law Office
JCS Immigration & Visa Law Office | Jack C. Sung
No, once you leave the United States, your probation is terminated.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 12/3/2010
Law Offices of Juan Dotson
Law Offices of Juan Dotson | Juan Dotson
If your friend was on misdemeanor probation, he could finish probation outside of the USA even after being deported. The felony is the problem felony warrants cannot be recalled without the defendant being present or in custody within the US (maybe not). There is nothing a non-lawyer or consulate official can do regarding the felony bench warrant except to help get a governor or presidential pardon (extremely rare). Nothing this serious is free; if your friend does not have the funds to hire an immigration/criminal attorney, then he must rely on the services of the public defender (only does criminal aspect of case).
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 12/1/2010
441 Legal Group, Inc.
441 Legal Group, Inc. | Gareth H. Bullock
You need to talk to his probation officer.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 11/30/2010
Click to View More Answers: