Can my fiance sponsor me after marriage? 6 Answers as of January 17, 2011

My fiance (US Citizen) and I (Chinese) have planned to marry in a few months. can he sponsor my green card if he had previously been in jail for non child-support payment? He also has charges earlier in his life for underage drinking and domestic abuse, which his ex-wife stated it was a false report. He has 5 kids, but 2 of them are living with his ex and one with his mom. Only 2 kids staying with him are filled in his tax form. What is the size of household wew have to use for our application? Will all this be a problem for him to sponsor a green card?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Carlos E. Sandoval, P.A.
Carlos E. Sandoval, P.A. | Carlos Sandoval
Your fiance can sponsor you. The criminal problems he has are not going to affect your petition. According to what you say his household would be 4 people.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 1/17/2011
Law Office of Baoqin Wang
Law Office of Baoqin Wang | Baoqin Wang
Your questions are very specific and impossible to answer without first reviewing the relevant court and financial documents. You need to get those documents ready and provide them to an attorney for detailed consultation.
Answer Applies to: Oregon
Replied: 1/4/2011
The Vega Law Firm
The Vega Law Firm | Linda Vega
Your U.S. Fiance may sponsor you. However, you must meet the poverty guidelines in order to submit the application for your Legal Permanent Residency. Please contact our office for assistance.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 1/4/2011
Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC
Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC | Lynne Feldman
You have a lot of questions here. You do not say whether you are in or out of the U.S.

Yes if your fiance is a U.S. citizen he may sponsor you K-1 or I-130 after marriage if overseas; adjustment to permanent residency if here.

In order to know whether his domestic abuse charges will be a problem I would need to review the Court documents relating to this. The Adam Walsh Act which protects foreign spouses may come into play depending on whether he has a conviction for any charges covered under the Act and exactly what it is for.

He will need to show the ability to support you at the level of at least 125 percent of the Poverty Guidelines family size will depend on the persons living in his household plus persons he claims as dependents on his tax return plus you. See the Chart attached.

I would be happy to assist with your case. We do charge for consultations $350 per hour but whatever you pay for the consultation would then be a credit toward the fees for your case if we are retained for further work on your behalf after the consultation. My contact information follows.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 1/4/2011
JCS Immigration & Visa Law Office
JCS Immigration & Visa Law Office | Jack C. Sung
1. Yes he can sponsor you if he had previously been in jail for non child-support payments.

2. Yes he can still sponsor you if he had a drinking problem or have been convicted of domestic abuse.

3. His ability to sponsor depends on his income. I don't have that information here.

4. The household size should be 4 (him, 2 kids, and you).

I highly recommend that you hire an attorney to help you with the paperwork, if you are not sure about the answers that go onto the forms.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 1/4/2011
Click to View More Answers: