Can my fiancée fix his status without going back to his country? 3 Answers as of May 24, 2011

I am planning to marry my boyfriend in a couple of years. I am a US citizen and he came here illegally with his parents when he was small. I am going to petition for him, but I wanted to know if there is anything I can do so he can stay here in the united states while they are fixing his papers and if he doesn’t have to go back how long will he have to stay in Mexico?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Verdin Law Firm, LLC
Verdin Law Firm, LLC | Isaul Verdin
The only way that he doesn't have to leave is if someone filed a petition for him or for his parents on or before April 30, 2001. If not, then he will have to depart the US and process through Cd. Juarez, MX.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 5/24/2011
Oltarsh and Associates, PC
Oltarsh and Associates, PC | Jennifer Oltarsh
It depends in his parents, did they ever try to regularize? Some petitions filed by their parents may stay in the U.S. to regularize. Maybe Obama will pass a legislation to help him. I have been practicing for over 15 years. Our immigration law firm has been in the immigration field for more than 45 years. We have handled cases with experience, integrity, and good effect. We offer payment plans with no interest.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 5/24/2011
World Esquire Law Firm
World Esquire Law Firm | Aime Katambwe
If you were to marry him and file for a visa today, he would have to leave the US and go to Mexico to get his immigrant visa there. They are processing application right now for those spouses of USC who filed on or before March 1993 for Mexico. There is a probability that they will tack on a 10-year bar to him coming back to the US for having come in without a visa. Hopefully for him, he is under 30 by the time the Dream Act clears Congress and the President signs it into law. Thats a long shot though. Lets talk in 2 years.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 5/20/2011
Click to View More Answers: