Can my father obtain a green card for me if he is a US citizen? 4 Answers as of June 02, 2011

My father a US citizen can he obtain a green card for me? If yes how long will it take for me to get the green card, my age is 35 and I am married?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
World Esquire Law Firm
World Esquire Law Firm | Aime Katambwe
Yes he can. I don't know how long it is going to take. But you will have to look at the USDOS Visa Bulletin from time to time to see where you are (will be) in the process. The link there is It is pretty self-explanatory. You are looking at about 10 years before you can apply for your green card assuming it is filed in the next few weeks or so.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 6/2/2011
Law Office of Christine Troy
Law Office of Christine Troy | Christine Troy
Your father can file the first step, the I-130 petition now. It will be several years until you are able to then process your green card under that sponsorship, but yes, he can sponsor you!
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 6/2/2011
Verdin Law Firm, LLC
Verdin Law Firm, LLC | Isaul Verdin
The processing time will depend on what country you are from. Check out the visa bulletin on the State Department website. Have your father file an I-130 petition for you to get the ball rolling. Best of luck.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 6/2/2011
Fong & Associates
Fong & Associates | William D. Fong
Yes, you are a FB-3 third family-based preference. The wait time for the visas to be available is about 10 years for most countries. The good news is that your wife and children get permanent residence at the same time you do. Your father should file for you immediately to get you a priority date, which is your place in line to apply for an immigrant visa. Attached is more detailed information about the process.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 6/1/2011
Click to View More Answers: